Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sustainable Crafting


I skipped Sunday chores today due to a work meeting that started on Friday night, went all through Saturday and finished today around noon.

I came home disinclined to do anything much.

I made a cup of tea, put in a DVD, plunked myself down in front of the television and commenced knitting.

Sigh. Something about knitting--the repetition, the color, the tactile sensation--is amazingly restorative.

An hour later, I’d made a coaster out of some old yarn and one of those junk-mail CDs that arrive without invitation in my mailbox.

I had been wondering what kind of sustainable craft-type thing I could do with old CDs, and I found the CD coaster idea on the Frugalhaus knitting website.

The picture above shows my first attempt at a CD coaster—a bit too thick and fuzzy (more like a trivet than a coaster!), so I’ll have another go with lighter-weight yarn. And another cup of tea. And another DVD.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the coaster!

You know I've been looking for someone to knit me a prayer shawl for a "life transition" for years....

Elizabeth said...

I would love to knot you a something, but I thought the whole idea of a prayer shawl was process, not product. Isn't it about the meditative practice of the knitter--a prayer said with each stitch. ???

Elizabeth said...

Um--that should be knit, not knot...

Stephanie said...

Mmm...I read that you can knit one for someone else, but you do have to say a prayer before you start. Let me see if I can find the link.

http://www.shawlministry.com/

Hey, didn't you send me this originally?

Elizabeth said...

Huh. I don't remember that link--and their shawl pattern is REALLY boring.

I could knit you something much nicer--but I am bad at prayer. Not a great believer, I am afraid.

Would it work if you prayed and then emailed me really fast and then I started knitting?

Or I could teach you how to knit--but in my experiencing that leads to a short period of cursing rather than praying....

Stephanie said...

See, no one will do it!

I used to knit as a child, but I find crafts very frustrating recently. I like yarn though.