Sunday, May 13, 2007

Improved Living

Well, that may be an overstatement, but it IS a neat idea for a blog: The Center for Improved Living posts daily actions "to make life just a little better." For example, today's post says

Write a haiku for or about your mom. (haiku = 3 lines, 7 syllables, 5 syllables, 7 syllables)
Isn't that sweet?

Ok, so here's my attempt:
Mom, working at the cabin,
Cleans the new hot tub
And forgets that it's her Day.

My own version of improved living for today is that I've discovered a non-dairy moussaka recipe in The New Basics Cookbook that contains nuts, fruit and acorn squash--and I've substituted brown rice for white for good measure.

And it unmolded successfully, which makes me feel like Queen of the Kitchen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth and I agree...Haiku is 3 lines 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. Yours is the anti-haiku.
sue

Elizabeth said...

Huh.

I was just following directions from The Center for Improved Living.

I now find more than anyone ever wanted to know anout Haiku here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku

The complexity of transferring the Japanese concept of syllables is nicely explained here: http://aguyinpajamas.blogspot.com/2007/02/haiku-syllables.html

Elizabeth said...

How about this:

Work at the cabin
Seen as recreational.
Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Back from the cabin
Working like dogs all weekend
Waiting for your call.

Anonymous said...

Busy weekend done
All tomatoes now planted
Did it by flashlight

Elizabeth said...

These are great!

Anonymous said...

I have tried all day
I am very bad at this
But I love you all
:)
sue