Thursday, February 22, 2007

Weekend Adventure Menu-Planning


We’re going away this weekend with friends to Jemez Springs.

Our overnight accommodation has a living area but no kitchen, so our menu preparation involves make-ahead picnic things and crock-pot cuisine.

I am in charge of two picnic lunches, an appetizer and dessert.

I get very geeked when it comes to menu planning.

For the lunches, we’ll have a picnic buffet:

The appetizer is a crock-pot Swiss (cheese) fondue from my kitschy 1975 Crock-pot Cooking book, served with crusty bread and cruciform vegetables for dipping.

For dessert, I’m making a kumquat compote (from Joy of Cooking), which will be served with Greek-style yogurt, dark chocolate and pistachios.

We’re also packing Cristalino NV Brut Cava and a Dom. La Garrigue 2004 Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romaine.

Edith, my counterpart, is preparing her famous lamb tangine and will, no doubt, bring along some other goodies.

Must remember to pack cutlery, plates, bowls, cloth napkins, tablecloth, wine glasses, corkscrew, tea, milk, electric kettle, bathing suits, bathrobes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had the Green Chile Apple Pate -- I now make it everything thanksgiving.

It's exceptional.