Saturday, March 3, 2007

Anthem

The other day I was jamming in the car to one of my favorite CDs: Come On Come On.

I have decided to adopt the song "I Take My Chances" as my official blog anthem.

It's not that it captures the spirit of my life. It doesn't. At all. I am not much of a gambler or a risk-taker. Nor do I smoke. Nor do I watch CNN.

But something in the spirit of the lyrics does capture how I'd like to be.

It makes me feel a little bit reckless and strong and . . . fun. And that is what I am going for on this blog.

My favorite verse?

I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat.
He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check.
I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

I like the edgy, slightly grouchy, anti-mass-media individualism of this lyric. I like her rejection of corruption, her control of the situation. I like how she is a little bit bad.

(I'm not bad. Usually. But sometimes I want to be.)

5 comments:

rani said...

Haha - I love that "I'm not bad...But sometimes I want to be." I completely agree.

Thanks for the book suggestion - I'll check my library for it!

Stephanie said...

I love this CD too!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I definitely identify with your sentiments here...I enjoy anti-establishment, and yet, I'm not really ;) And thanks so much for the add! I'm going to have a lot of template adjusting to do after this week....

Marketing Mommy said...

Mary Chapin-Carpenter, right? I can hear the song in my head.

You should check out Amy Rigby.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Marketing Mommy. I will!