Friday, March 2, 2007

Aqua Vitae


Help!

I need a really, really good water filter.

I love drinking water. But I love only good tasting water. And I hate the unsustainable aspects of consuming bottled water.

I need a really, really good water filter so that I can fill up my reusable water bottles and remain healthily hydrated.

Do you have any recommendations?

What I have been using is the Aquasana at-the-sink system, because it seemed cost effective and highly rated ("Voted 'Best Buy' by Consumers Digest Magazine 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006!"). I also wanted one that I could use at the tap, so that all water I use--for soups, tea, sauces, etc.--is filtered.

The Aquasana-filtered water does taste good. I have had the filter system for three years; the filters are replaced every six months.

But here's the thing: replacing the filters is a huge headache (they get stuck, I always cut myself installing, and leaks are frequent), and now the valves have cracked. I have spray and puddles every time I draw water. Yuck.

What I want is a filter at the kitchen sink that is easy to change, makes the water taste good and is affordable. I want something that does more filtering than the Brita or Pur systems (see Aquasana's comparison chart here--which may be biased, but is also informative).

Why?

I was convinced by Sally Fallon who writes about the importance not only of water but of quality water. She decries softened water (valuable minerals are removed), fluoridated water (the kind I grew up on--look, Ma, no cavities!), and certain kinds of filtered water (reverse osmosis, she says, denatures the water and removes good minerals).

What she calls for is filtered water (because most water---even treated water--is contaminated as a result of runoff from farms and gardens or because chlorine and fluoride have been added), and she seems to recommend ceramic or compressed carbon filters--REAL filters, not the little ones in the water-filter pitchers people keep in their fridges.

I have to say that once I had water that I knew was clean and that tasted really good, I drank more water. And felt better. And had clearer skin, brighter eyes, etc., etc.

So please leave a comment if you have a product to recommend. I'd love to find a solution!

4 comments:

Qtpies7 said...

Amway/Quixtar has THE best water filter! You can get an under the sink model, and even though it is expensive, the filter lasts for up to a year! And we have 7 kids! It was delicious water and took a sulfer odor out of our well water. Amazing. We had it in a rented home. I'm here from the blog party.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! 7 kids--that's a lot of water! So I know it's a good recommendation. I'll check it out. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been using a really simple drinking water filter system in my home which does not need any electric power or plumbing. Its called a Stefani water purifier. I think its the most natural and economical water filter and easy to use drinking water purifier which can be used indoors and outdoors. And the water tastes really fresh and natural, without any artificial tastes like bottled water.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, anonymous. I'm checking it out now. :)