Sunday, March 4, 2007

Knitted Wool Curtains


Follow up to last post:

For those of you wondering what-the-bleep handknitted wool curtains look like (!), here they are, Eucalaned and clean.

They're also still damp--I am using gravity to block them.

I made them from lace-weight red wool yarn and used the Dainty Chevron and Daintier Chevron patterns from Barbara Walker's A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns. Because of the color, it's sort of a Spanish lace look.

It is a bit like knitting a very, very, very long scarf.

I would have knit them longer, but my birding husband did not want his view of the bird feeders obscured. Hence the little, tiny valence on the large picture window. (Ah, the compromises of marriage!)


4 comments:

Monkey Giggles said...

Swinging in for the party!!! Nice meeting ya.

My second party favor give-away has begun. When ya get a chance come on over and let's party!!!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Monkey Giggles.

Silkworm Yarn shop said...

I read in another blog that you have the KNITTING AROUND videos.
Are they worth it? Schoolhouse Press hasn't put them on DVD yet and seem to be in no hurry.
I was hoping to get them on the DVD because they would be so much cheaper. But it seems to be taking so long.

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Morana. Tne videos are very sweet--you see Meg and Elizabeth and other family members interact. You see the places where they knit and teach. It is a very low-key, low-budget PBS type of show. I got my set used from eBay at a pretty good price.

The content of the videos mirrors what's in the books: moccasin socks, fair isle yoke sweater, dickeys, moebius scarf and vest, bog jacket, pie are square shawl, Norwegian pullover, mittens and an aran coat.

You can find these patterns n the books--and that is where I'd have to go if I got stuck. But it is fun to see EZ and MS discuss the patterns and talk about different approaches to them.