Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Positive Action for a Better World


When facing sadness and devastation, I just want to ACT. Do something meaningful in the face of what seems, at times, such a senseless world.

An email today from Beth in NYC provided an opportunity.

Both of our moms got breast cancer at the same time, and Beth's mom very sadly passed away after a hard fight. My mom was very lucky to have responded well to treatment. My mom's mom died of breast cancer at age 53.

I have less than 20 years to contribute in some way to finding a cure before it's my turn.

Beth is contributing to finding a cure by committing to spending a weekend next October walking, along with thousands of other people, in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. She'll walk the distance of a marathon and a half - a total of 39 miles.

I am contributing by helping to sponsor Beth.

The money raised goes to the Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Crusade, a 501(c)(3) public charity whose mission is to provide access to care and finding a cure for breast cancer. They provide funding to organizations all over the country for medical research, education and early detection programs, and clinical care and support services, all with a focus on the medically underserved.

Beth needs to raise at least $1,800 to participate in the walk, but she's set her goal even higher--she's going to raise as much money as she can.

If you want to support Beth or check her progress in funds raised, click here to view her Personal Page.

According to Beth's email, every three minutes, another woman in the United States is diagnosed with breast cancer. This is unacceptable.

Avon also has a global effort (39 countries across six continents) for those of you outside New York that might want to take action: a Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's convinced me to sign up too...so help help! I need money too!
(your sis-in-law)

Elizabeth said...

Did you sign up? Do you have a personal page I can link to?

Anonymous said...

I'm signed up, but haven't quite figured out all the details yet. And I haven't been able to personalize my page yet. I am less computer literate than my beautiful sisters (both of you)

http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=3381078&pg=personal&fr_id=1285&s_tafId=154271

Beth said...

It's crazy, but she and I will have a great time... Thanks for your support! And her personal page is: http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=3381078&pg=personal&fr_id=1285&s_tafId=154271