Thursday, April 5, 2007

Book Lust

I am very, very spoiled.

In addition to Cranium Whoonu and the Webkinz Lil' Monkey that my parents sent for my birthday, I just received a box of books from them. One book would have been a delight; THREE is nirvana.

I now want the world to go away so that I can tuck into what were the top three books on my Wish List:

1. Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century: I found this book when I was led to the worldchanging web site by a piece I heard on Living on Earth. I blogged about it and put the book on my Wish List. It is beautiful and BIG: a textbook for how to change the world--"providing you with ideas for rethinking your own life, and providing approaches to change" (p. 25). You'll all be hearing more about the ideas from this book.

2. The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't: Mom hates the title, as she highly disapproves of the vulgar word used therein, but she acknowledges in her note that the reviews for this little book are rather good. I discovered the book through a post on Surviving the Workday and immediately added it to my Wish List. A quick glance through it made me laugh out loud--it is FUNNY and, I hope, will help me survive a few rough months that are on the horizon.

3. The Anti 9-to-5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube: Not sure why or when I put this on my Wish List--someone must have recommended it, but I can't remember who. Anyway, it is chick-lit, job-oriented self-help, and I hope it amuses. In the chapter called "i want to find a career i'm really passionate about", Step 1 is "Go to your happy place." Sounds flaky, I know, but I'm in the mood for a lighthearted approach.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You're not spoiled! You're well-taken care of. :)

Let me know how that Asshole book is. I think it's on my wish list. And you recommended #3 to me.